Offshore Wind Development and Marine Environment Protection: Return on Experience and Innovative Solutions
Part 1: Protection of Marine environment: return on experience from the UK and Scotland
Dr. Cormac Booth
Part 2 - UK innovation pitching session
Are massive offshore wind deployment and marine environment protection compatible? How has the UK approached this challenge?
Join us, Scottish Development International (SDI) and the Department for International Trade (DIT) to hear from a range of British organisations, from policy to business, all with a strong experience and innovative approaches to marine environment protection.
Our diverse panellists will share some lessons learnt at different phases of offshore wind project development. They will discuss the policies, mechanisms and solutions to ensure the impacts on the environment are qualified, reduced and mitigated during the life cycle of an offshore wind farm.
Want to learn about protecting marine environment while developing an offshore wind project? This webinar organised by Scottish Development International (SDI) and the Department for International Trade (DIT) is a unique opportunity to understand challenges and solutions for the protection and marine environment during the development and the operation of an offshore wind farm.
From a policy to a business level, you’ll have an overview of Scottish and UK organisations having a strong experience in marine environment protection and can provide innovative solutions through the different phases of development of an offshore wind farm.
This session is aimed at:
- European offshore wind developers
- Sub-sea engineering, procurement and construction and installation professionals
- Tier 1 companies from the OW sector
- Environmental associations, consultancies and policy makers
The Department for International Trade (DIT) promotes British businesses worldwide. DIT is an international trade department, responsible for:
- Bringing together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade and investment, and help businesses succeed;
- Promoting British trade and investment across the world;
- Building the global appetite for British goods and services.
DIT is looking to attract inward investors into the UK while at the same time making sure that companies in the UK can export their goods to the wider world.
The UK has a very enviable record in the installation of offshore wind. The UK has been driving this market for a number of years now and is the single largest country with the installed base for offshore wind with over 10 GW of installed capacity in UK waters.
UK strengths in clean industries:
- The UK is the world leader in low carbon and the statement on net zero by 2050 was announced recently. This will act as an accelerant for the transition to low carbon economy.
- We have made sizeable steps in the decarbonising our electricity – we are world leaders in offshore wind with above 10GW of installed capacity and committed to 40GW by 2030.
- We have driven the cost reduction in offshore wind as well as in solar – enabling cost competitive renewables across the world.
- Because of the experience gained from installing large number of wind farms (over 30) we have expertise in operation, maintenance and marine services. The UK has engineering and project management expertise that is essential in the successful delivery of offshore wind farms.
- The UK has developed a strong and stable regulatory framework to drive investments in the clean growth sectors.
- The huge scale of the UK industry has led to a growing and innovating offshore wind supply chain capability across the wind farm life-cycle, from surveys and feasibility, to manufacture and supply, installation, operation and maintenance, and related financial and professional services.
Scottish Development International is Scotland’s trade and foreign direct investment agency.
Scottish Development International is Scotland’s trade and foreign direct investment agency. Its aim is to encourage more overseas businesses to set up a location here, invest in Scottish businesses or buy Scottish products. We do this by providing information, partnering with businesses and investors who want to set up or invest here, and helping businesses find the connections they need.
We can also help businesses around the world access the huge range of high quality products and services offered in Scotland. Whether you’re looking to import our top-quality products – from whisky and salmon to cutting-edge tech – access our professional services or use our specialised expertise for your project, we can help you find the suppliers you need.